The Silent Wife - A.S.A. Harrison
My Rating – 3 Stars

Well, as you can see from the summary; Todd cheats and Jodi kills him. I have not read Gone Girl (not yet anyways. It’s on my kindle!) but so far I’m getting the impression that it’s not anything like Gone Girl.

This book is definitely not a thriller. It tells you in the beginning (and in the summary) that Jodi kills Todd. There is no mysterious lead up. You know what’s going to happen. You don’t know when, and you do get a little frustrated waiting for it to happen.

Todd and Jodi are not married, contrary to the title and the summary and much of the narration and dialogue in the book. They are common law married (which most states don’t recognize) and have been together for 20+ years. They have built a life together and most everyone knows Jodi as Todd’s wife.
Todd cheats all the time; with random women, friends’ wives and hookers. Basically whatever he can get his Mr. Winkie into. Jodi is (disturbingly) okay with this because at the end of the day, he comes home to her.

Jodi is a psychologist (and a TERRIBLE one. She calls one of her clients “Miss Piggy” and refuses certain patients that are too much trouble) who only works part time and because of that, is pretty dependent on Todd and his income.

Well Mr. Cheater has taken up with his best friend’s daughter, a girl half his age and he knocked her up. This begins a whole chain of events, from Todd leaving to marry this home wrecker (oh and she is the very definition of a home wrecker), to serving Jodi with an eviction notice. Now Jodi is in danger of losing everything and instead of, oh I don’t know, working on plan to find a place to live and how she’s going to afford it; she becomes a hermit, plots to have him killed, and goes a tad crazy.

The book is less about the mystery and thrill and more about the psychology of two people whose lives are falling apart. It’s told in alternating points of view, switching between Todd and Jodi. There is quite a bit of back story, explaining a lot about why they are the way they are. However both of them are rather unlikable in my opinion.

Todd is a cheater and a liar. He thinks it’s in a man’s nature to cheat. He thinks that he can have his girlfriend and Jodi at the same time (even after he leaves Jodi) because he “loves” them both. Todd is very selfish and often realizes how good he had it with Jodi but never goes back to her.

Jodi is just…strange. Most of the book she annoyed me; she refused to marry Todd when they were younger (even though he asked multiple times) but still thinks that Todd is required to support her after he leaves. She’s cold, personality wise. There was hinting at a childhood trauma but it felt unnecessary because it was more about her relationship with her brother.

But I liked the book. I didn’t love the book, but I did enjoy it. It was a quick read for me because I was interested in how the characters got from point A to point B even though you already know how it ends (or do you????), but it can be very dry and a tad slow.

I recommend if you like this type of book but if you need something that’s a real mystery, then you might be a bit bored.

You can read this review and more at Punk's House of Books